Thursday, December 10, 2009

How long did it take to get your house reclaimed, reorganized and junk given away or tossed/?

After an adult child with thwo kids move out? We haled truck and trailer loads and everything whe had in storage for two years is in the house. Later today we start moving all the extra dressers and furniture we hope to gift her with practically everything but our bed, three dressers and the dining table and chairs. I all ready sent almost everything out of the pantry, all the fridge condiments. I hope by Monday to scrug everythin down. Drawers and about 8 dressers are full of their clothes and the back porch and playhouse are loaded too. I don't want to dumped it all on to her at once so she can sort and put up and get too overwhelmed.



How long did it take to get your house reclaimed, reorganized and junk given away or tossed/?theater



It's an ongoing process to get rid of stuff belonging to adult



children. I still have stuff my daughters left when they moved



out years ago. The stuff I can send or ship gets sent or shipped. Anything that isn't claimed gets donated or sold.



Lots of times when they come back they don't want it anyway,



so out it goes. Now we have grandchildren stuff, a playpen,



a high chair, a baby gate. It goes on and on. I'm waiting to move to a smaller place.



How long did it take to get your house reclaimed, reorganized and junk given away or tossed/?london theatre opera theater



I still have my son's toy box in the basement and it's loaded with toys. He's 28 years old now. I wouldn't be surprised if my mom still has a few boxes of my old stuff in her basement from 20+ years ago.
Don't let her move back in!



Juju
It's surprising how much stuff can get accumulated from folks over the years. Our daughter moved out with our first Grandson almost 9 years ago when she was 16 and she moved in with our Gsons' father. There was loads of stuff which was mostly baby stuff and it took several car trips from us loaded up and a hire van too. After having a baby in the house it took a little while to get used to it again but we did eventually. Mind you it took a lot longer to stop waking in the middle of the night at the time baby woke up for his feed lol.



We'll have it all to go through again - minus the baby - when our youngest leaves home but hopefully that won't be for a long time to come yet. (fingers crossed lol) Not ready for an empty nest just yet!
you will never get it all out because they will be back to visist and when they do they will leave something!!!
It took me at least a year the 1st time, the 2nd time, the3rd time, the 4th time, the 5th time and I waiting for the 6th time to move. Give me strength!
Our children have been gone, for the most part for over 10 years. There was a time there they would move back home and out again as job situations and marriages came about. Well, we gave them fair warning about collecting their stuff and by a certain date, we had a dumpster pull up and threw out the stuff, like clothes, old toys and high school mementos that weren't claimed. And, so far no one has missed a thing! My, we do get bogged down in clutter after raising 4 kids!
One day. I figure if she is adult enough to be married and on their own they can own the reponsibility. You make a mess clean it up!
I finally got all my kids stuff out of the house, after their moving in and out for a few years, changing states and residences a few times, but then my grandaughter moved in for the summers, and now I have HER stuff.,in a room we keep for her when she visits. Which she won't let me get rid of, "Grandma, those are my childhood things!" Sigh. Maybe someday.
You mean it's possible? I am still waiting. I don't mind too much though. My youngest son is getting ready to start looking for a college to start on the Doctorate so he is still having to lug things around. I will help it out as long as he needs it.
It took me almost a yr. Then I threatened to give away, and presto! It was gone. They came and got it.
In my younger days it didn't take any time at all... just dig in and don't quit... that was me... that is why they called me Scooter!!!



I do try to purge now and then. I am a big believer in finding a second or third use for things, I was taught not to be wasteful. I find it hard to just TOSS something! Just take your time Hon! It sounds as if your on track. To help you with cleaning the frig and oven set a bowl of ammonia in each and shut up overnight, things will just wipe off in the morning! This sounds like a wonderful new thing!



Best of Luck!



Scoot
I would have moved and left no forwarding address!
Sound like it would have been easier for you to move with just your stuff. LOL. Now that's what I call downsizing.
All I can say, is that you are very brave. I could not even bare to think of getting into that.Star for you.
Oh I just got done with them emptying the house of all their stuff that had been stored here for years. I have Fibro and it is cold out side and cold inside as trying to conserve energy but I tell you if it wasn't for the help I got it would have taken for ever. Still in the process of cleaning closets and finding their stuff and repainting the basement walls and floors, well my roommate is doing the walls and it is a major project! It will probably take me a couple of months to reorganize and put things in their proper place. But when it is done, I will be one happy mama!! xoxo



As for not want to overwhelm her...I say put all the stuff that is hers in large Strong plastic bags, market what is in them and get it out of your house. She is younger and more resilient that you think...let her go through it at her leisure and when your place is all organized and done...offer to help. I found that my daughter really didn't want the help, she has some in garage or basement of her place and will get to it when ready. Don't you think you have done a lot already? and When is enough enough? This is your time now so go for it, that is my humble opinion. I did and they were fine with it.
Geesh, you must feel like your going to sit up housekeeping again!!! Good Luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd