Thursday, December 10, 2009

What is an "actors benefit" (live theatre)?

I am currently involved a play at the playhouse in my area. It's not a paid job...just for the heck of the experience. Anyway, I was reviewing at my play performance schedule and read that the last performance is marked as "Actors' Benefit." What does this mean?



What is an "actors benefit" (live theatre)?star theater



In olden days (and apparently still) actors were paid rather little and the box office had to be divided between the house and the managers. An "Actors Benefit" was a show in which all the money taken in the box office was given, usually to a single actor, the lead, etc.



What is an "actors benefit" (live theatre)?extension opera theater



My experience is that Actors Benefit proceeds go to help funds benefitting retired union actors, members of Actors Equity Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd