Thursday, December 10, 2009

Seniors>>what did you most play with when you were a kid?

when i was a kid we would build us a playhouse in the woods and found things in the trash to furnish it with%26gt;%26gt;that was so much fun back then%26gt;i wouldn't get anything out of the trash now to play with but like for my grandkids to see how we played when we were little%26gt;%26gt;nothing to keep us in the house like computers or vedio games and we only got to watch tv at night for a couple of hours%26gt;%26gt;



Seniors%26gt;%26gt;what did you most play with when you were a kid?oper



skipping- the rope was mums old washing line, one end tied to a lamp post someone turned the other end -while a dozen of us took turns to skip to songs if you missed the rope it was your turn to turn the rope



Seniors%26gt;%26gt;what did you most play with when you were a kid?hollywood theater opera theater



rocks, sticks, dirt and glass
freeze tag!!! when i was 8 but I'm 18 now...so long ago!!



i also enjoyed hiding things and finding them!!!
We put on neighborhood talent shows. We played Army boot camp. We played house and held weddings for our dolls. We played school. We invented our own board games. We roller skated. We made sure our pet toads (really!!!) had plenty of water in their toad pond. We coaxed the kittens from next door to come visit with us. We "helped" in the garden. We built skyscrapers and log cabins with various types of block sets. We made decorations for our annual Halloween party. We did homework without the aid of computers or the internet.
I loved freeze tag and release . I want to defend the now a days kids...not all sit on computers and video games my two older boys are out and about now . One on out trampoline and one playing football. You be glad to know that my 10 yr old wanted a shovel just to go out back and dig . We got him one for Xmas ! : )
Ponies.



But I am more interested to see if you are going to get an



answer from MacTealc - if he dares!!!!
Time: Late 30's and 40's. We gathered on a vacant lot in the neighborhood and played kick the can, run my sheepy run, and hide and seek in the evening. During the day, I lived in the swimming pool.



My dad bought a season ticket so we could swim from 1 to 5 in the after noon.



Played Cowboys and Indians. Anti-I- Over and had rubber gun fights. Dug a tunnel, out behind my Granny's house and really got into trouble when she found us down inside the tunnel. It's a wonder that it didn't cave in on us.



Played Perg with marbles, Mumble Peg, with a pocket knife, Jump rope and Jacks.



Too many things to list and none cost money to keep busy and entertained.



Those days are gone forever.
My sting-ray bicycle, my model ships, Matchbox cars. Building models was a lot of fun. Had to earn all the money I spent on hobbies, and my folks wouldn't buy me a bicycle, so I traded the contents of my junk drawer for a pile of bike parts, and dad and I put one together. We weren't poor, but my folks didn't want to spoil me. Good learning experience, plus quality 'dad' time. In high school I traded up for a 3-speed. Wow. 1965-'72. The 'good-old days'.
We woukld find an old empty cottage and build a den, cherishing every moment spent in the building, having picnics inside on rainy days
handy over -- remember all you needed was building and a ball and "fox and ducks" fox was bean and the ducks was corn and was played on home made board!!!



heather you and your ponies!!!
I played with paper dolls, so I learned to cut out pretty well! They now have magnetic ones! I was a reader when I was young and read all the Bobsey Twins, Cherry Ames and Little House on The Prairies.........my favorite was Mr. Poppers Penguins!
There were so many kids on the block I lived on. We would play -Catch in the street, Red Light-Green Light,Dodge Ball and you have better be fast,cause if that ball hit you, you were black and blue for days. Kick The Can, Hide and Seek.
I lived on'with my bicycle
dirt, dandelions, and grass..we had the best mud pie making area in the neighborhood.
I was always a loner. I'd get lost for hours exploring the woods across from the housing area (we were military). As long as I had my dog, I didn't care much about anything else. No one bothered looking, so I must have come home on time.
I rode my horse everywhere I could... there was a point of no return, where we had to turn around or not make it back home on time... big trouble then... And, I had to have time to rub him down good, %26amp; give him some oats, cause he was my buddy! I guess he is not a what... but thats where I was and what I was doing... If not that the off at the river swimming... water baby here!!
The accordian, guitar, microscope and a chemistry set.
I learned to read at five and after that, you couldn't pry me away from a book. Looking back, I was horribly inactive. I do remember fun times outdoors though. We lived in the country and had giant boulders and rock piles in the fields, which we would pretend were pirate ships or desert islands or castles. In the winter, we'd go sledding.
We didn't have TV at all, and often did not have electricity. We would use large rocks to outline a "house" on the beach with rooms, hallways, etc. and play there. We furnished it with stuff we found on the beach or, like you, with stuff from the garbage. We also built "houses" in the woods. We played Chinese checkers, checkers and card games when it rained and in the evening, and we read a lot, often the same books over and over because we did not have a lot of books. My favorite place to visit was the library when we lived close to one, and when we didn't it was an exciting event when the "bookmobile" came to our community.
We used to stick a broom handle in the dirt and put a blanket over it to make tents. Boy did that get hot in the summer. We had a park across the street from us and it had a swimming pool and carousel. They were both free and we spent many a happy day and didnt come home until dark. We climbed trees,rode our bikes,skated and would put on little plays for the neighborhood. I can remember staying out after dark too to catch fireflies. We never heard a word about anyone being molested,killed or anything else. This was back in the 40's in Philadelphia. I was still playing touch football in 1954. That was one wonderful childhood. Just saw you mention tv. We werent the richest family, so we rented our tv and had to put 25 cents in a box on the back for 30 minutes. It kind of limited the amount of time you could watch. Maybe that's what kids nowadays need.
Living in the mountains of Southern Oregon, the world was our oyster in the late '40's and 1950's.



We played "cops and robbers", "cowboys and indians". Being at the lower end of the socio-economic scale, there weren't many toys but oh my, what we could do with a tin can..



There was always someone with a coupla baseball mitts and a bat....if we didn't have a baseball, we used a tin can.



In the winter, using sheets, we would make a "tent" by draping sheets over the kitchen table, letting it fall to the floor.. I had a set of little tin play dishes (still have them) and my Mom would give us stuff to "make dinner' in our kitchen table-tent. Graham crackers mixed in a little bowl with milk and eaten with a little spoon, same with saltines.....



I was the second oldest of 8 children...and the oldest girl. It was my responsibility to look out after the younger ones. Lots of times, in our little kitchen table-tent, there would be diaper changing, baby feeding and naps.



We also used brooms or long sticks as "horses"......



A favorite game was hop-scotch....both boys and girls would play..and we could do it for hours.



As we got a little older - 9 - 12 years, we would dig earthworms and go fishing in one of the many rivers and streams within easy walking distance.... Little Brook Trout or Dolly Verden Trout...bring them home and Mom would cook them up for lunch.



Then there were always the goats, chickens and rabbits to play with. We raised goats for the milk and sold it. Those female goats were great playmates....the little kids could actually ride them.



If all else failed, we'd tease the neighbor's bulls....from a distance. There was a long lead pipe and we'd blow through it making these horrid noises which irritated the bulls to no end. They'd come running at the fence at high speed......scared the pants off us but we ran away quick.......



Lotsa fun....and some mischief.
I speak of the 30s - 40s .



There seemed to be a spontaneous "season" to kinds of play.



Someone would start pegging tops or even better "racing tops" This consisted of whipping a spinning "top" ( a fashioned round cylinder of wood with a nail embedded point)



Another arrival would be to play "Kat" This is a double pointed finger of wood . Striking one end would cause the "Kat" to jump in the air and with a skilled swipe one would hit it in midair an score longest distance. Conkers also had their season. Bowly Hoop was wheeling a cycle wheel ., Betchels, Hopscotch, Marbles, Rounders, and skittles.. oh the variety of play was "endless". Radios were non existent too , scarce and primitive (cat-whiskers). no telly of course .. we played outdoors most of the time. That was Ireland of long ago... I'm geting nostalgic now.......Gene Autrey and Gabby Hayes and injuns ..an.....Hurling, Football (dried pig's badder) ..... LOL!
When I was seven, we got a new clothes washer and dryer and the kids in the neighborhood played with the huge boxes for months until they literally feel apart.
We grew up playing baseball, marbles, horseshoes, fishing and playing with our 52 pigeons. We always stayed outside till dark.
WANNA ANSWER THIS ONE?
I used to love to jump on my pogo-stick,,,hula hoop,,,hopscotch,,, Post Office,,,spin the bottle....
As a very young girl we did paper doll cut outs, jacks and jump rope.
Flies, carpenter ants, my own imagination.
Yes this brings back memories of a stick horse I had that had a plastic horse head attavhed to a stick and I would run around town with that thing and even parked it next to a bench to go into the store 'cause "pony's" weren't allowed.
Roller skates, bike, jacks. paper dolls. played baseball in the school yard up the street. watched the older boys play basketball. Hopscotch mother may I, hide %26amp; seek, simon says. Went to the playground and played on the monkey bars, the wheel that spun. Forget what you are supposed to call it. The rings and the slide. Went all over the city in the bus or street car, by yourself or with your friend. To the Zoo, Aquarium, Fishermans Wharf, Aquatic park. Chinatown, Golden Gate Park. as I lived in San Francisco. We didn't have to worry about perverts, and kidnappers then. And most of the stuff was free then. not like now where you have to pay.
kick the can. hide %26amp;seek, played with marbles,dolls,toy trucks-cars. hide the button a game we made up i think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd